Carbon Fiber Filament is not the same as carbon fiber materials. Whereas carbon fiber consists of a continuous strand, the filament is a combination of short carbon fiber strands and some printable material either PLS, ABS, PETG, or Nylon depending on required properties and durability.
The difference and choice of available brands will, therefore, depend on the difference in mixtures and properties of the Carbon Fiber Filament which are described and explained in the next sections.
Some of the pros and cons of carbon fiber filaments are as follows:
- Have very good dimensional stability
- Have increased strenght and stiffness
- Tough and abrasive on extruders and may require hardened steel nozzles making it expensive using them
- Increased oozing during printing
- Mixture increases the brittleness of the filament